In 1932, two blocks of the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest were designated as Crown Forest Reserves. These reserves had a combined area of 207 square kilometers. In 1942, the two Crown Forest Reserves were combined and enlarged, and renamed the Impenetrable Central Crown Forest. This new protected area covered an area of 298 square kilometers and was under the joint control of the Ugandan government’s game and forest departments. Then finally in In 1991, Impenetrable Central Forest Reserve along with Mgahinga Gorilla Reserve and Rwenzori Mountains Reserve was designated as a national park and renamed Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. The national park was declared in part to protect a range of species within it, most notably the mountain gorilla.